25 Feb 2014

Harold Ramis RIP



"It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners."
 
Harold Ramis
Harold Ramis was a pivotal influence in comedy during the 70's,80's, and 90's. As a writer, and actor and director  his works include; Caddyshack, Stripes, Groundhog Day, Animal house, National Lampoon's vacation, and of course Ghostbusters. 

  • He was a deeply talented man at the hardest of jobs, comedy. He worked with exceptionally talented actors from Robert De Niro to Bill Murray, Robin Williams, Peter O'Toole and Dan Aykrod. But of course as much I love  Stripes  and Animal house it is for Ghostbusters that I will forever remember him. The good doctors Spengler, Stantz and Venkman still drive me to raucous neighbor frightening laughter to this day. It is an excellent script with excellent performances. 

  • I think that it is indicative not only of his work but him as a man that most of the images of Ramis on line are of a man that is truly happy. 
  •  
  • The reason I post about people like Ramis is because he has brought me so much joy over the years. While he has obviously benefited financially from every film of his I have watched, I still feel oddly grateful for men and women like Ramis that can create laughter in this world. 

  • I could keep talking but I think I will leave the last words with Harold Ramis' great friend. 

  • "Deeply saddened to hear of the passing of my brilliant, gifted, funny friend, co-writer/performer and teacher Harold Ramis. May he now get the answers he was always seeking."
    Ivan Reitman, director of the two movies, also paid tribute, saying: "The world has lost a wonderful, truly original, comedy voice with the passing of Harold Ramis."
    He possessed the most agile mind I've ever witnessed. He always had the clearest sense of what was funny and how to create something in a new clever way ... Harold had an extraordinary impact on my career and I loved him like a brother." - Dan Aykrod

    November 21, 1944, February 24, 2014, 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment