6 Oct 2013

Rush


When I was studying film there was a girl I knew who refused to watch any film that was based on real events. She never provided a logical reason for it, just refused to watch them. Obviously what I would do would be to suggest such movies, and then not tell her until afterwards. 

I never really understood her aversion, and even though I prefer fiction to say a documentary, a good story is a good story and sometimes the best stories are from history.

Normally I would write a synopsis of the films but with this film I am not sure it would help you decide to go see it or not. Rush is the story of  two Formula 1 racing car drivers and their rivalry, set mostly around the 1976 gand prix.

Sound dull?

I have watched Formula 1 on TV for a bit and was pretty dull. It is highly expensive cars racing exceptionally quickly around a track. The first driver to cross the finish line having completed a set number of laps, wins.  I could go on, but I am not sure that will entice you to watch this film.

And you really should.

This is not  Days of Thunder, or Fast & Furious 623, Rush is an interesting and exciting story. You don't need to like Formula 1 or know who these men are to enjoy this movie. Director Ron Howard  focuses on  their story, but he also manages to capture the excitment of these powerful races and why it is one of the most watched sports in the world.

 Rush is the story of James Hunt and Niki Lauda, one is a charming charismatic young man with a natural talent for racing and the other is annoying, dedicated, and technically brilliant. You can probably guess from those description which one is the Austrian.  The men are polar opposittes but both equally exceptional drivers.

Chris Hemsworth's scope and career is growing film by film. Daniel Brühl who plays Niki Lauda, must have been highly uncomftable with the mouth prosthetic, but it never showed. Both Brühland and Hemsworth gave excellent performances. Both men showing the best and worst of the Lauda and Hunt in their careers and personal lives.


The story is good, and the race scenes are excellent. Ron Howard has seamlessingly created a period film of the 70's, interspersed with recreated and real footage.  People in the cinema were literally on the edge of their seats, and I cannot remember the last time I witnessed that.



Rush is one of best films I have seen this year and if you do decide to see it I recomend seeing at a cinema over a DVD. As I said you don't have to like Formula 1 to really enjoy this movie, and I think that is a testiment to Howard's craft as a director, and the abilities of the cast. 

8 monkeys.

3 comments:

  1. I could not possibly comment on this un-named girl's reasoning, however there are some films based on real life that I will not watch. Schindler's list is the one that comes immediately to mind.
    My aversion springs from the fact that even though I know a great deal of the film is about the lengths Schindler went to to save the lives of other people, the fact remains that it was necessary. I get so emotionally involved, and very upset, and then depressed for days when I watch films that show the horrors people can and will inflict on others.
    It is not burying my head in the sand, as I do know these things happen, and I am not trying to pretend it doesn't happen. I know myself well enough to know that I can not cope with it emotionally, and I look after myself.
    It took me years to get around to watching Titanic, and I still haven't seen Black Hawk Down, even though it lives on our DVD shelf.
    Other true to life movies I watch quite happily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty wary of films that have "inspired by a true story" as a prominent part of the marketing. It used to be a pretty common tactic for TVNZ back in the day. My experience with those films has been pretty dire. If the best thing you can say about a film is that it's based on real events then you're not saying much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it when they say "inspired by a true story". Like anything ever written wasn't.

    ReplyDelete