19 Sept 2012

It is that time of the year again when management start discussing where you want to be in five years time. Apparently drinking cocktails in Milan is not a proper answer. 
As I ponder this super important  question, my mind and imagination wandered and I thought of this. I thought it was appropriate given what day it is.
My individual developmental plan as a Manager of a maritime economic redistribution team. Here is how I will develop my position  this using the capabilities below.
 
 Collaboration
I understand the need to foster open dialogue and develop an effective team harmony. To be an effective team we require a diverse skill set and personality mix, who can still all work together for an exciting and productive life of maritime economic redistribution. I am also hoping to work with other stakeholders in various ports to meet our targets and to provide the best customer service. If we meet our targets I recognise that we should share that success as a team and celebrate our strengths. With working with such a diverse and mixed team it is important recognise their perspectives. Even if they are Spanish.
 
 
Communication


I pride myself on having excellent communication skills. I hope to utilise them effectively during team meetings, negotiating with customers and resolving conflict swiftly in the cut and thrust environment of maritime economic redistribution. I am confident that I will communicate with authority and conviction while negotiating with clients and I have achieved excellent results in the past. In this industry, you do deal with a varied mix of clients, stakeholders and even competitors so it is important to adapt your communication style to your recipient. Whether it is a local Governor, or a Dutch merchantmen I an a strong believer of courtesy and open dialogue to get my point across.
 
Client Focus
I am entirely client focused. The entire industry of maritime economic redistribution must have a swift and actionable process where we can identify our clients, communicate our strategy and our objectives in a timely manner, so we can achieve maximum outcome and profitability. While I am always seeking feedback on improving my service, I pride myself that I maintain a high professional standard regardless of circumstances.

 
Self-Management
Obviously it is important to be able to operate independently from time to time. The nature of the industry means that there is no real upper management due to the franchise nature of maritime economic redistribution. I believe I have the skills necessary to operate independently and to manage my team. However, I am also willing to learn new strategies, develop, and adapt to changing circumstances. I am able to remain calm during adversity and I can adapt through adversity to try to resolve issues promptly.
 
Action Oriented
I am a firm believer on taking responsibility for my own actions, and not claiming responsibility for any success unless it is deserved. I think it is not only important to identify, but to create opportunities for effective client service. Thus I try and network through various external stakeholders and research various client profiles so I can preempt and seize rewarding prospects before they get away
One of my prominent stakeholders.
 
 
Another important stakeholder
 
 
Judgement and Decision Making
I think that I have a unique perspective into the industry because I think it is important to examine the humanitarian aspect of the service we provide. If you are entirely results orientated I believe that it will damage the industries long term productivity. Strategically this will effect the work environment and will reflect on your team and individual performance when you are called to account.  Also you need to make rational decisions and be a clear about any potential emotional aspects to any decision made.
Recieving feed back regarding past performance.
 
Leading
I like to think that my strong leaderhship style does get the best out of my team. Plenty of Grog, wenches and booty does create an enthusiatic approach to our work. And if there are any challenges to my leaderhship I find that my skill set swiftly eliminates the problem. 
 
 
                 Happy international speak like a Pirate day!



No comments:

Post a Comment