8 Jun 2012

Rest in peace Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury is dead.
He died this week aged 91 and the news of his passing has made me sad.

22 August 1920 - 05 June 2012
Ray Bradbury was a fantastic author of short stories and novels, also he adapted his works for Television in for the Ray Bradbury theatre and wrote screen plays for  movies like Moby Dick,  starring the fantastic Gregory Peck. This film in my opinion is the best adaption of Herman Melville's book. 

Ray Bradburys  most famous books are Farhrenheit-451  and the Martian Chronicles. Although personally I always liked  Something wicked this way comes which is about evil evil carnies.

I hate evil carnies.

When I was looking for photos for this post I noticed something. Ray Bradbury is almost always smiling or laughing.  On his website I found this quote

"In my later years I have looked in the mirror each day and found a happy person staring back. Occasionally I wonder why I can be so happy. The answer is that every day of my life I've worked only for myself and for the joy that comes from writing and creating. The image in my mirror is not optimistic, but the result of optimal behavior."- Ray Bradbury.


 He was creative and he was happy because he loved what he did, and I cannot imagine a better life to live. 


He was a prolific writer and wrote every single day. He was also important for not just writing great science fiction, but like H.G. Wells, and Jules Verne he was a writer of great literature. He believed that all his great works are based on something personal.  He loved cats, comic books, fairy tales, collectables, films and life.

"Love is in the centre of your life. The things that you do should be the things that you love. And things that you love should be things that you do. And that is what you learn from books" - Ray Bradbury.

He believed that books were deeply personal, and that when you read writers like; Emily Dickinson, John Steinbeck, Edgar Rice Burrows and Edgar Allan Poe that you became the authors, and by reading their stories you live through their creations.

" You have to go to the library for a an education. The Library is the answer."- Ray Bradbury.

He loved books and believed that the act of reading a book was more than just stimulation for the mind, but for the senses. The pictures, the cover, the smell. He believed that the act of reading from a book was better than a computer. I can't imagine that he would appreciate a kindle very much.

If you are interested in Mr Bradburys works then I suggest you investigate his website in the link above. If you want a recommendation of what to read, well as I said I liked Something wicked this way comes. But maybe in a world full of  terrible things like; the Kardasians, The GC, Hekia Parata, the Twilight books, the Twilight movies, the book  A shore thing  by Snooki, and Snooki, if you like me find these things shallow and terrible then you might find Farhrenheit-451  a great book. 


 I think that sums that up.

Good night Mr Bradbury you were a poet, a creator of worlds, a lover and advocate of books and you seemed to love of life with every atom of your being.

 I want to end now this post on a fun note, because Ray Bradbury was a fun man who adored life. And his death and writing this post has made me terribly sad.

I deliberated about adding this link for longer than it took me to write the rest of this post. I was worried that  it would be disrespectful to his memory. But I found this picture so think he wouldn't mind. 

Rachel Bloom and her hero Ray Bradbury

Here is a tribute by the funny Rachel Bloom. The video makes me laugh and I think with due respect to his greatness, we should remember important people with laughter rather than tears.




Good night

1 comment: