28 Feb 2015

LLAP


 Leonard Nimoy has passed away at 83. Nimoy was a writer, director, poet, photographer, singer (of sorts) and last, but not least, actor.

He appeared to me to be a gentile man, who was enthusiastic about his work and his fans. Of course he is best know for his iconic role as Spock in Star Trek,  and also for writing one of the readings at my wedding. He may not have had intended that poem for my wedding, but I am sure he would not have minded.


"My folks came to the US as immigrants, aliens, and became citizens. I was born in Boston, a citizen, went to Hollywood and became an alien."

Nimoy seemed to have a certain gravitas and cool that he retained despite who was sharing the screen with. But he was certainly more than a on screen presence. He had a masters degree in Education, and his writing was sensitive and insightful and witty. No doubt a reflection of the man himself.

Here is his final tweet:

A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP

Leonard Nimoy leaves behind a wife, two children, six grand children, and a horde of saddened friends and loyal fans.  

No comments:

Post a Comment